Sunday, May 16, 2010

Bordeaux

Sorry I haven't posted for a while, I fell in love with southern France. Bordeaux is a wonderful city!! It got off to a good start. This is what I saw right after getting off the plane...



Those are grape vines for wine, so you all know me. Its a great start for me in continental Europe!!

After a bus ride and a train ride to rue de tauzia I found a cheap little hotel and walked back down to la garonne, that's the river that runs through Bordeaux, and found a little cafe. I had a sandwich--eggs and cheese on half a baguette-- and a glass of wine. It took me a while to convince the owner that I knew that French sandwiches were different than American sandwiches and that I didn't care. Spanish helped. Here is the cafe & my wine:



After dinner I went home right away, young hooligans were coming out & I had to walk a ways to get back to the hotel. I'm pretty sure I crashed for around ten hours, and the hot shower was awesome!!

The next morning I woke up early and took a walk back to la garonne. It was a picturesque morning in picturesque Bordeaux. Here are the photos, I really don't need to say anymore.








I even had time to play history major. I knew that the age of the cities would smack me in the face, but knowing it at an intellectual level is never the same as seeing it with your own two eyes.



This is part of an old fortress built by the Cardinal Richelieu, that should sound familiar if you have read or seen anything about the Three Musketeers.



I am thrilled about this trip and anywhere I go I am certain I will find something to do and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment