Sunday, November 21, 2010

Lisboa

I flew into Lisboa from Oslo. I know, the last place I was in was Austria. The way that worked out was it was cheaper for me to fly from Oslo to Vienna to Innsbruck and back, and then go from Oslo to Lisbon, saving the return trip to Oslo for Christmas time. Yep going back to Norway for Christmas!! It was actually mom’s idea to arrange the flight that way and it saved me a boatload of Euros.

Now then, the hostel where I spent two weeks of my time was on Rua de Correiros right off Rua Augusta. That is right in the heart of downtown. While I was there it was really warm, but they made us some awesome mixed drinks. Mojitos and Caipirinhas for cheap, and they did not skimp on the booze side. It really helped me get over the endless rejections from potential apartments.

I didn’t take any pictures during that time nor have I taken any photos the numerous times I have been back down there with friends. However, I finally went back with Sig when she came for a visit. So here is what the streets of Lisbon look like in November.

This Praca de Commercio and the nearby streets. This is where I was living during my housing search…

There are little tourist restaurants all up and down these streets, but others are legitimate Portuguese family restaurants that have amazing food. The easiest way to tell the difference is to make some local friends and ask them. The other way to find out is wait until Sunday and then take a walk and see which restaurants are full around seven thirty or eight o’clock. That is the normal Sunday dinner time and that is really the only time something actually happens on Sunday. The rest of the day is virtually dead. People either leave the city or spend the day at home after mass, if they even go. Needless to say, these photos were not taken on a Sunday…

Here is the plaza in front of the theater…

This is the plaza by the Rossio train station…

That plaza is at the end of the main Avenida. The Avenida has sycamore groves running its length and it is a really nice place to take a stroll…

You may have noticed the sidewalks. That is one thing I will always remember about Lisbon, the tiled walkways. They are the norm, it is actually really strange to run across a sidewalk that is made from bricks or blacktop and I have never seen a cement walkway. My advice to any ladies traveling to Portugal: Don’t bring your heels. Not practical. You will have issues.

Another thing I will always remember about Lisbon is views like this one…

A roasted chestnut stand sits at the bottom of one of Lisbon’s cobblestone streets. You can get a dozen roasted chestnuts for two euros. Trust me, that is more than enough, they are extremely filling. You also will want to have something to drink with them. I’m also sure you noticed the extremely old elevator tram leading up into one of the city’s old districts; in this case, it is heading up towards Bairro Alto, neighborhood where most of the night life goes on. By night life, I mean heading there around ten o’clock is early. You can find some really cheap cocktails and wander down to the miradouro and perhaps hear some live music.

Anyways, those pictures are a little different from what Lisbon looked like when I arrived in September. The people are wearing jackets, the trees have lost a few leaves, and there are Christmas decorations up, but for the most part Lisbon remains the same as when I arrived.

I did take a few pictures at the beginning of the trip. We visited a nearby mansion and garden just to have a look around. We actually got locked into the grounds and that was interesting when the unhappy owner arrived home ten minutes later. Anyways, here is beautiful Lisbon in the height of the September summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment