Friday, September 17, 2010

The Solum Cabin

Sigrid and her brother Sverre were in the midst of moving, so I got to lend a hand while we were in Trondheim. Sigrid had scheduled a hiking journey long before my arrival in Norway, so while she went off to the mountains Sverre and I went to their hometown of Skage. Their mom and dad, Sissel and Steinar, were really happy to meet a member of Sigrid’s American family. Sigrid was kind enough to tell them that I loved fishing and had not been given the opportunity to enjoy that hobby for a long time. So, it was off to their cabin in the woods…

It really does feel like it is back in wilderness…

Inside it is quite cozy…

Here are Sissel and Steinar fixing breakfast…

It has a little grill out back…

And here is the view from the back porch…

Well, without further ado it was off to go fishing…

It was a bright and sunny day, so the fishing wasn’t all that great, but I was just happy to be out on a lake again…

After a couple of hours we headed back for a snack, one that grows right outside the cabin…

Yep, fresh mountain blueberries :)

Then lunch…

Then we returned to fishing as the sun went down and the air began to cool…

The fishing was slightly better…

Just a few little tiny trout. But the view was spectacular…

Well, needless to say we were somewhat disappointed with the day’s pickings, so the next day we decided to just have a little fun. That included canoeing…

And my first real time out in a kayak on an open lake…

It was a lot of fun, but typical luck for me, I get out in the open and the wind really starts to pick up. It was a really fun weekend though. It was a bonding experience for Sig’s parents and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment