Thursday, August 26, 2010

Trondheim!!

After a brief stay in Oslo and a long train ride through the beautiful Norwegian countryside, I arrived in Trondheim to meet my Norwegian sister!! For those of you who don’t know Sigrid, she spent a year with us in Iowa on an AFS exchange program. Now we are family and after such a long time traveling non-stop I needed a break. I will introduce you to the Solum family later. I need to get through my pictures of Trondheim first otherwise I will forget how the trip went.

First, we spent a little time in Trondheim where Sig and her brother Sverre go to school. It is a really pretty city. Here is the old part of Trondheim, Sig’s favorite part of the city…

Here is the University they are attending…

Right across the river is Trondheim’s pride and joy…

Compared to a lot of the cathedrals I have seen the Nidaros Cathedral is much darker looking, a true gothic-style cathedral. It was started in 1070 and was completed around 1300.

It isn’t until you get around front that you really see why it is so famous…

Sig and I actually stumbled onto a medieval style fair the first time we walked by the cathedral. It was a part of Olavsfestdagene, the festival celebrating the patron saint of Norway Olav II…

Part of the celebrations included a concert featuring two Swedish performers: Melissa Horn and Lars Winnerback. The latter performed for almost two hours. Two encores. It was a lot of fun…

The day after, we went a football (soccer) game. Trondheim’s team is named for the Rosenborg part of town. They are the best team in Norway and they thrashed the visiting Swedes…

I spent a lot of time in Trondheim and saw another game right before the end of my Norwegian adventure, but I still have a lot to tell you before that story is complete :)

No comments:

Post a Comment